Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday Feature -- Splendid Little Stars and Sparkly Park

This week's featured Etsy artist was the Etsyblogger of the Month for October. (Better late than never!) A big congratulations to Margaret, who is the owner of two fantastic Etsy shops:

Splendid Little Stars and Sparkly Park! Both shops are full of handmade goodness. I think these crocheted and beaded flowers are super cute, don't you? You can wear them on your wrist or in your hair!

Enjoy the interview!

1. Please tell us about the items in your Etsy shop. What do you make? How did you learn your craft? What is involved in your creative process?

Splendid Little Stars: hand dyed cotton clothing and silk scarves and scrunchies
Sparkly Park: jewelry (mostly earrings right now) and paper goods such as cards and tags.

I learned to tie dye by just plunging in. My daughter's first grade teacher tie dyed with the children every year. She introduced me to the "good" dye. Then, with the help of my son, I made hundreds of shirts for several fundraisers. Over the years, I have developed my own unique processes, styles, and designs.

The dyeing process involves many steps: washing and drying the item, tying up, soaking in solution, dyeing, curing for @ 24 hours, washing, drying. That is the basic formula, of which there are variations. To paint with dye, I usually soak the item in a solution, let it dry, then paint and cure.

2. Tell us two (or more) other interesting things about you.


I Iove photography and have found great joy in capturing the unique essence of nature and the spectacular drama of natural landscapes. Hiking in beautiful places is one of my most favorite things to do. I am inspired by art all around me--natural and human-made. I've enjoyed incorporating my photos into my blog and thus sharing my interest with others.

I love science and have a degree in zoology. I have taught nature and science classes, developed by me, to children in my neighborhood and at the YMCA. Once, a friend and I created a summer camp which we held for several years. We taught nature, art, science, music, and movement. It was so much fun! You can read more about it here.

3. What inspires your creations?

I am inspired by the texture, colors, shapes, and feel of the materials I work with. I am inspired by art around me. I love investigating the designs in nature. These designs are repeated in my work either literally or imaginatively. I love looking at the "flow," the movement of shapes and designs, across a space.

4. What is your favorite item in your shop (currently for sale or previously sold)? Why is it your favorite?

3 piece empire waist dress set for children. I have been making these in various patterns for many years. They have been a best seller and little girls love them (as do their moms)! They are so soft and comfortable. The pieces can be worn separately or mixed and matched, so it's a very versatile outfit. Most children can wear the dress for 2-3 years and the shirt and leggings for 1-2 years. It just warms my heart when I see a child loving something I made!

5. Give us some insight on how you personally, or your shop, gives back to your community.


There are many ways. I am passionate about giving to my community! I give of my time and I give of my creations. Once, I helped a group of kids tie dye shirts that they would be giving away to children while on a mission trip to Mexico.

I've been planning a section in my Splendid Little Stars shop called Charity Pink. I will give 50% of the profits of every sale of these particular pink shirts to breast cancer research.

6. Where else can we find out more about you and/or your creations?

BLOG
WEBSITES: Splendid Little Stars and Sparkly Park
FACEBOOK: (sadly, I haven't done anything with it yet)
FLICKR

7. Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about your shop or your work?

I teach tie dye classes, mostly to children and their adult helpers. How fun to share with others an art I so enjoy!





Posted for the EtsyBloggers team by: Mama's Magic StudioSee EtsyBloggers team membership requirements here: etsybloggers.comGot a blog? Love Etsy? Check us out!

No comments: