Friday, October 9, 2009

Internet Artisan Interview - Miao Miao by Mysie

You can tell Mysie, from Miao Miao, has Halloween on her mind. I saw holiday colors and themes, when I visited her blog and Etsy shop recently. She uses a lot of black and red gemstones, which I've love together, but could never get past the traditional turquoise and coral that became so popular about 10 years ago. And some of her wire wrapping techniques are so unique. With great prices, I'm surprised Mysie hasn't sold more jewelry. Here's a look into her creative process:

What's the name of your business/shop?

Miao Miao by Mysie


Do you have a registered domain name and/or a blog?

http://miaomiao-jewelry.blogspot.com

What type of handmade products do you sell?
gemstone jewelry

Show us a piece you recently finished
I'm trying to incorporate more silver into my jewelry, and get back to delicate designs that first inspired my jewelry making.

What are you working on right now? Any sketches?
Nope, no sketches, just half-finished designs:


If you have a website or blog, what do you use for advertising? What do your avatars look like?

I have my Etsy shop and my business blog, but I don't really have a concrete strategy for advertising. I'm trying to focus on blogging right now. Advertising on Etsy itself hasn't yielded any real results. I did buy a logo design however, which at least makes me happier about my shop! :)



If you have a website or blog, tell us about your favorite widget.
I have two widgets on my blog, and I love them both! The Etsy shop widget that displays my jewelry for sale is vital for connecting my readers to my shop. But the Heart counter from Yaami.com is really cute and links to other free statistics tools.

Which online selling vendors do you use? What do you like best about each one?
I opened my shop in 2008 and haven't felt the need to go anywhere else. Etsy has a great look, a great community, and is incredibly easy to use.

Are you involved in social networking? What's your favorite and why? If you're not involved, you must have a good reason!
I've been putting it off, but finally signed-up for Twitter and then Facebook. I can't keep up with the pace of Twitter, but I've learned how to manage Facebook in such a way that at least I go crazy from all the posting! I think my favorite thing about it is being able to update distant family members on my life more easily.

All of us can use a helpful business hint once a week. What's yours?
When things aren't going great or sales have stalled, remember why you started creating in the first place. Not why you started selling, but why you create. Deep down, you should be doing this for yourself, because you have ideas and visions of things that you just have to make, and you enjoy the feeling you have bringing those things to life. This may not help your business, but it can help you stay sane.


Do you have a "modus operandi" for computing the price of a handmade object? Tell us your formula?
Actually, I've been guilty of under pricing my work. I'm trying to move away from that. Right now it's kind of zen: costs + a few bucks for my time, compared to what similar things I've already made have been priced at, compared to what I would be willing to pay for the item.

We'd love to see your little corner of the world, where you create.
Eek! It's really wherever there's space left. All my workspaces are cluttered with materials and half-finished projects, tools, magazines, mail, shipping supplies, camera stuff, things I have no idea why they've been left there. Currently I'm using the living room coffee-table because it's the one space my husband will not let me take over for more than a few hours at a time.

Where do you see your artwork in one year? Any plans in the works?
By this time next year, I hope to be preparing for some holiday craft markets. Between early deadlines and illness, I haven't shown at a market in about a year. Also, I'd love to take a silver-smithing class. The jewelry itself? Well, that depends on the beads!


OK, it's the storybeader's turn to pick a favorite!
I really like mysie's cluster work and her wire wrapping, especially her Starry WireWrapped Necklace.






Got a blog? Love Etsy? Check us out! etsybloggers.com

2 comments:

joeyandaleethea said...

What a great interview! I love that starry necklace!

storybeader said...

thanks for the opportunity. See ya here tomorrow... and of course, at my blog! {:-D