Friday, January 1, 2010

Internet Artisan Interview - Patch First Shop

I think one of my favorite things about etsy is getting to know people from around the world. I communicate with my next artisan everyday; she lives in Thailand, so we're on WAY different schedules! Patch is an etsybloggers and has three different Etsy shops. It was way fun, sitting down and looking in her shops for pictures, because they are so different: jewelry, vintage and supplies. She also has a shop on Artfire. Patch has two blogs right now; one is a special Wedding Guide Blog that is a must stop for all brides. But I'll let her tell you what she's up to:

What's the name of your business/shop?

I started my first shop with "PatchFirstShop" for everything: Jewelry, Vintage Clothing, and Supplies.. and then I wanted to make the shop more organized.. so I opened 2 more shops for vintage clothing "PatchVintageShop" and supplies "PatchSupplyShop".


Do you have a registered domain name and/or a blog?
Jewelry Shop in Etsy
Jewelry Shop in Artfire
Vintage Clothing Shop
Supply Shop
Weddings Guide Blog
All about Patch


What type of handmade products do you sell?
I made Handmade Jewelry from Genuine Swarovski beads - Crystals and Glass Pearls. And in my supply shop, I do make mini bags by hand-sewing.


Show us a piece you recently finished
Now I'm working on Little Princess Crown Rings in many colors following the monthly birthday gemstone. They will be added soon in my shop. Now I have only Emerald color in my shop. Finished colors are Garnet, Sapphire, Ruby, Diamond (Clear) and another extra - Black and white.

What are you working on right now? Any sketches?
I'm still working on my "Amelia Collection".. now I have Necklace, Hairpin, Brooch.. in my design, they must be Earrings and Bracelet too which I haven't made them coz they need something to re-design and adjust for the size. Moreover, this collection has 3 necklace designs which I've finished just one design. And of course I have the sketches but I can't show you.. it's CONFIDENTIAL!! hahah ;D You can see the sample of the sketches here














[this necklace is on etsy]


If you have a website or blog, what do you use for advertising? What do your avatars look like?
I have a rapid cart from my artfire shop and mini etsy in my wedding guide blog to advertise my shops for weddings market. I normally use one of my jewelry to be my avatars, sometimes necklace, sometimes earrings, sometimes ring.. Except the avatar in Etsy.. I'm using my name "Patch" as avatar in all my shops so everyone will know it's me. :D


If you have a website or blog, tell us about your favorite widget.
Ummm.. very difficult question for me.. coz I don't pay much attention on widgets in my blog..

Which online selling vendors do you use? What do you like best about each one?

Just only 2 online vendors - Etsy and Artfire.
Good thing for Etsy is that it's my really first online shop. I have all experiences there and now I have a group of friends there too since I've been the member of EtsyBloggers Team. So I feel like home there and of course all of my orders were in Etsy.
Good thing for Artfire is that all items they are all no expired date since I upgraded to Verified account. And lot of viewers are from search engines, I feel like I don't have to work much on advertising but still no order from it.. so not so sure now.. ;)

Are you involved in social networking? What's your favorite and why? If you're not involved, you must have a good reason.

I have many accounts in social networks: Twitter, Ning.com, Plurk, FaceBook, etc. My favorite is Plurk, I can share from Plurk to Twitter to FaceBook so I have to online only on website. The most favorite thing that I love on Plurk is that responding communications, I can chat with Plurk's friends like I use any instant messenger program. It's great for custom-order because you can talk all details with your customer.

All of us can use a helpful business hint once a week. What's yours?
If you have a blog to advertise you shops, try to blog about something that you think most people will search for it in any search engine. This will help your traffic to your blog and you may have more new customers to your shops. :D

Do you have a "modus operandi" for computing the price of a handmade object? Tell us your formula.
Ummmm.. let's see how can I explain all in one paragraph.. I make my own worksheet in Microsoft Excel (thank you for my previous job as sale representative). First I combine all supply cost in Thai Baht and then convert to US dollar plus exchange rate risk factor (about 10%) plus workman cost then multiply for a profit margin. Then add listing fee and packing cost. Calculate for Etsy order fee and Paypal fee.. then add both to the items.. now you have a price! (Why I have to calculate order fee and paypal fee in it, when you have an order the real fee will be slightly more than you calculate but you already added in your price so this means you pay for fee less than the real fee.. got it??)
But.. I still modify the formula because sometimes you will see that there are some costs that you forget to add in it.

We'd love to see your little corner of the world, where you create.
My bedroom is my workplace, every area of it - on the floor, on the desk, on the bed.. You can see my workplace here

Where do you see your artwork in one year? Any plans in the works?
I've already had the first shop for one year. At the first time in November last year, I got 2 sales in one week from the chat room. At that time I thought everything will be great by itself but couple of months with no sale, I knew I was wrong. I started to focus harder in April 2009, started to blog and other social networks. This year is just the started year for me.. kinda trial and error processes for me. So the plans for next year, the first priority is that I will pay attention to all my shops daily, adding new items daily, and blogging daily too to create more traffics to all my shops. Working harder is my plan for next year! :D


OK, it's the storybeader's turn. I don't know which I like more, clothing or jewelry. I would buy this vintage lace blouse, but I know a 19" bust has to be too small for me. Isn't it adorable! I also think Patch's pearl jewelry is exquisite, but I have a special hand-me-down from my mom...

Posted for the EtsyBloggers team by: storybeader
See EtsyBloggers team membership requirements here: etsybloggers.com
Got a blog? Love Etsy? Check us out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the interview!!!