Monday, March 31, 2008

Mini Monday - Baby Friendly Beads

Today out featured shop is Baby Friendly Beads. Her shop has been open on Etsy for about 2 years. From her profile I will let her introduce herself-

Hi! My name is Jen, and I've made beaded jewelry for almost two decades. When my 9 month old son began to pinch me while breastfeeding, a nursing necklace was clearly needed, so I decided to make my own. BFBeads ~ Baby Friendly Beads were the result.

Baby Friendly Beads are the original, adjustable-length, one-piece design for nursing necklaces. Because there is only one, continuous piece of cord used in my necklaces, there is no risk of the pendant breaking off and scattering beads everywhere.

I created my innovative, adjustable-length design so that it does not require a clasp, because the clasp is often the weakest part of a necklace. All of my necklaces and bracelets are one of a kind -- while you may find attempts to imitate my necklaces, no other breastfeeding jewelry is quite like Baby Friendly Beads!

Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing, but it can be challenging, particularly with older babies. I'm happy to make something that can help other mothers with their nursing experiences.

All of my necklaces and bracelets are one of a kind and handmade by me with a mother's love and my innovative Baby Friendly designs. No other breastfeeding jewelry is quite like Baby Friendly Beads!


Also from her profile you find information from the artist on her line of products.

***The Story Behind Baby Friendly Beads***

As I thought about what might help distract my son from pinching my skin and pulling my hair, I envisioned something that he could hold as well as play with. I wanted it to be adjustable in length and sturdy enough not to break as he tugged on it. After a few attempts, I came up with a design that I believe to be unlike any other nursing necklaces.

Attractive enough to wear every day, the necklaces also effectively occupy a baby at the breast. The beads slide easily on the cord, delighting a baby's curious eyes, and the pendant is the perfect size for little hands to grasp. Some of my necklaces include jingle bells to add to the fun!

My son (and later, my daughter) helped me to fully babyproof my basic designs both for durability and for interest. While this design is the template for every necklace I make, each is one of a kind. My customers tell me their babies really like to play with the beads. Whenever I wear my necklaces around babies, their interest is immediately attracted to this nifty thing around my neck.

I decided to make reminder bracelets as well when I discovered that using them was MUCH easier than keeping a nursing log. And more discreet than massaging one's breasts to see which one is more full ;-)

My new Stuffy Puffy line was inspired once again by my son. As he got older, I found that he really liked squeezing and playing with the stuffed pendant. He is now weaned, but he still loves it when I wear them. He calls them my "hot air balloon" necklaces.

You can visit her wonderful blog Mama's Magic to learn more.

3 comments:

Serendipity Collections said...

These are so innovative and creative! I loved looking at all the different necklaces.

Jana

Jen (Mama's Magic Studio) said...

I'm so pleased to be a Mini Monday post! Thanks a million!

joeyandaleethea said...

I'm a huge fan of nursing necklaces, I have several, and I don't know what I would've done without them. They've kept my Joey focused and laying still while at the Milk Bar. hehe. And they're so beautiful too!